Our hot lunch recipe wagon presents a hot lunch you can take to work or school. Our recipes are quick, easy and less than 30 minutes to cook. Cook our recipes the night before, refrigerate and reheat the next day. Or, on the other hand, you can cook our meals and freeze them for next week’s lunch. Our special today is Chicken with Caramelized Onion, Garlic and Ginger
HOT LUNCH RECIPE WAGON: Chicken with Caramelized Onion, Garlic and Ginger
4 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
7 tablespoons butter or ghee
1 onion, finely chopped
¼ teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cumin
4 garlic cloves chopped
1 teaspoon ground coriander
¼ teaspoon chili powder
2 inch piece cinnamon stick
¼ teaspoon salt
18 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bitesize pieces
2-inch piece ginger root , peeled and grated
¼ teaspoon garam masala
- Put the tomatoes into a blender until smooth, set aside
- Melt the butter or ghee in a saucepan or wok over medium heat. Add the cinnamon and cloves and fry stirring 30 seconds or until you can smell the aroma of the spices. Watch carefully so they do not burn
- Add the onions and garlic and fry, stirring frequently 6 to 8 minutes until they are golden brown. Add the cumin, coriander, turmeric, chili powder, and salt and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in the chicken and continue frying stirring 7 to 8 minutes until the chicken colors. Bring 6 ½ tablespoons water to the boil while the chicken is cooking.
- Add the tomatoes, followed by the boiling water, to the chicken and simmer 10 to 15 minute longer until droplets of oil appear on the surface.
- Stir in the ginger and garam masala, then serve hot with Cucumber Relish . Pack it warm in a heated lunch tote for lunch on the go.
You can carry your hot lunch in a heated lunch tote.
HOT LUNCH CHEF