Potato and Cilantro Fritters– Our hot lunch recipe wagon presents a hot lunch you can take to work or school. Our recipes are quick, easy and less than 30 minutes to cook. Cook our recipes the night before, refrigerate and reheat the next day. Or, on the other hand, you can cook our meals and freeze them for next week’s lunch. Our special today is Potato and Cilantro Fritters (Aloo Bhajis)
HOT LUNCH RECIPE WAGON:Potato and Cilantro Fritters
The subtle heat of the green chilies, the nuttiness of the gram flour, and the cool refreshing taste of cilantro make these fritters a delightful opening to a meal.
9 ounces baking or Idaho potatoes
Heaped 1/3 cup chickpea or gram flour
1 green chilies, finely chopped
½ teaspoon salt
A handful of cilantro leaves, finely chopped
Vegetable oil for deep frying
Grate the potatoes coarsely into a large bowl
- Sift the flour into the same bowl, then add the chilies, salt and cilantro leaves. Stir together with a fork until the mixture creates a thick, coarse batter
- Heat enough oil for deep frying in a heavy bottomed saucepan over a high heat or in a deep fat-fryer to 375 degrees F, or until a small drop of the butter sizzles
- Drop 1 tablespoon of the batter into the oil and fry about 1 minute or until it turns golden brown
- Remove the fritter from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain. Taste the fritter and adjust the seasoning of the batter adding more salt if necessary
- Fry the remaining fritters, working in small clusters to avoid overfilling. The pan. Remove any extra fried batter from the oil and return the oil to the correct temperature before adding each new cluster. These fritters can be fried and reheated 10 minutes before serving. Pack in a heated lunch tote for a hot lunch to go.
You can carry your hot lunch in a heated lunch tote.
HOT LUNCH CHEF